Monday 8 October 2012

Wodaabe Tribe

After looking at several images from the Surma and Mursi tribes i wanted to discover more imagery from African tribes. I found a french photographer / photo-journalist Marie-Laure de Decker, who has photographed the Wodaabe tribe,  who are found in many regions of central Africa. The Wodaabe people are known for their beauty, particularly the men. Unlike in many western cultures it is the men who cover themselves in elaborate make- up and costume to convince the Wodaabe women they are the 'best suitor' for marriage.



It was the accessories in these images, that drew me in, The badges and buttons appear to look like military ribbons and i love the combination of primary colours. below are a number of images taken from different photographes as well as Marie-Laure de Decker.




Above is my face chart inspired by the Wodaabe tribe.  I feel this would make a good design for my catwalk look. As it is a very simple design, I would really have to consider the hair and styling for the look. 

Similar design to the face chart above but i have added darker shading around the eyes and have created a graphic brow.  I hope to further develop the two designs. I'm going to continue looking at different tribal imagery.